Legal Officer – Guidance & Outreach
Jobsplus Permit No. 499/2022
One of the functions of the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU) is to educate individuals and entities about their anti-money laundering and counter funding of terrorism (AML/CFT) obligations, providing them with information and directions that lead them to adhere in an effective manner thereto.
To this end, the FIAU is seeking to strengthen its Legal Affairs Section through the recruitment of an Officer within the Guidance & Outreach team. This is a unique opportunity for those who wish to build a career path in the AML/CFT area.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assisting in the publication process of the FIAU Implementing Procedures and other AML/CFT Guidance Documents, and ensuring that these procedures and guidance documents are reviewed and updated from time to time;
- Assisting in the drawing up and implementation of annual guidance and outreach plans aimed at enhancing subject persons’ awareness of their AML/CFT obligations based on identified on-going training needs;
- The drawing up of studies and research papers on AML/CFT matters;
- Organisation of and participation in AML/CFT training events organised by the FIAU, other representative bodies or private entities;
- The administration of the Joint Committee for the Prevention of Money Laundering and Funding of Terrorism, the AML/CFT Consultants’ Forum, the AML/CFT Clinics and other similar initiative undertaken by the FIAU;
- Monitoring the publication of reports, guidance notes and other papers issued by the FATF, MONEYVAL, EGMONT, European Supervisory Authorities, the European Commission and other relevant international bodies and ensuring proper circulation with subject persons of useful material derived therefrom;
- Receiving and replying to queries that are posed by subject persons from time to time and attending to meeting requests by subject persons to assist them in the implementation of AML/CFT obligations;
- Maintaining appropriate records, statistics and logs of guidance and outreach initiatives undertaken by the FIAU;
- Liaising with other competent authorities to implement and coordinate AML/CFT guidance and outreach initiatives;
- Overseeing the implementation of any other AML/CFT outreach initiatives such as but not limited to Public Education Initiatives, Participation in University Lectures on AML/CFT matters and assisting in AML/CFT researches carried out by students or researchers;
- Any other duties assigned by the Director, Deputy Director, the Senior Manager and Head of the Legal Affairs Section.
- University degree at NQF 6, or an equivalent qualification in Law, Banking, Finance, Financial Services, Economics, Accounting, Audit, Insurance, or in any other relevant subject, provided that the applicant has proven experience in an area which is relevant to this position.
- Applicants having an LL.B. or LL.D. or M.Adv. Degree or an equivalent academic qualification in law at NQF6 or NQF7 or better will be preferred. Candidates who are in their final year of studies in their M.Adv Degree, will also be considered;
- Good understanding of the laws that govern the prevention of money laundering and funding of terrorism in Malta and the international standards and EU legislation in the area;
- Knowledge of the relevant EU Directives and related local legislation that govern the financial, gaming and other regulated sectors;
- Familiarity with the operations of the above mentioned sectors;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in either Maltese or English;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and office automation tools;
- Pleasant personality and be of good moral character;
- Experience in applying anti-money laundering and counter-funding of terrorism legislation would be considered as an asset.
- A dynamic working environment
- Excellent career prospects
- An attractive remuneration package; and other staff benefits
- Health and Life Insurance
- Flexi Time
- Team building events